Sunday, November 28, 2010
School Reform
School Reform,School Reform,School Reform,School Reform! Often times when we as individuals think of school reform we think on the old broken record that keeps going but never amounts to anything. My idea that relates to school reforms always revolve around standardized test scores. I was pleased to read The Fischbowl. The focus of school reform never really involves the students. People who are in authority often forget the main reason of schools is to educate children. I liked the way Mr. Fisch started the conversation off in a reference to him by telling the students, " I won't even think I'm a success if you go to a good college and then get a good job, although I certainly want you to do that because I'd like to retire someday and I need you all to have good jobs to support me." Although I do think that he speech could have been more productive if he had done this on the first day of school. Yeah I know that there is a lot taking place on the first day of school and trying to explain your personal goals for the students are the last thing on your mind but as humans we can relate to one another based upon our own personal experiences. As he goes on in his conversation he gives them three points why they should take his class seriously. I believe that these three points are easy to remember and will continue to allow the students to be successful in more that just his Algebra class.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This is article has great meaning to it and readers should pay attention to it. It simple explains that we should go beyond just teaching but educate the students on how to live outside of the classroom.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you M.A. Jackson.......the teacher should have thought about making this speech on the first day of school. I feel that the points he made in his speech are valid. Students as well as adults often just memorize information for the time in which it is needed and then think nothing else about it. So are we really learning?? All in all, I think that the teacher made great points and this type of speech should be made to all students!
ReplyDeleteThanks Marian!! I believe that in order to get success you have to have a clear understanding of what is expected and why. Like I said previously I belive that this conversation should have take on the first day of class or at least the first week.
ReplyDelete